Can't receive any data from an UDP socket until sending through it

We have 2 devices. One of them is powered by Legato (Sierra Wireless WP7502). Another one has a LTE module from a different vendor. We also has 2 USIM cards with public static IPv4 addresses (from 2 different mobile operators).
We’ve opened one UDP socket on each device to receive and transmit data asynchronously between these devices. The problem is that the Legato device don’t receive any data from the socket before the first packet is sent through the socket to the non-Legato device.
We’ve switched USIM cards - doesn’t help. The default rule of iptables’ INPUT is changed from DROP to ACCEPT - doesn’t help either. We don’t see any incoming data on the rmnet0 interface (“RX bytes” field of ifconfig command doesn’t change)
But when the very first UDP packet from this socket (on Legato device) is issued to the non-Legato device while the non-Legato device is flooding the Legato device’s socket with packets we start receiving all subsequent packets (even from another sources like our PC’s). So the vital part of the reception start on the Legato device is to send a packet from the socket and receive a RESPONSE through this socket (outgoing src_ip:src_port/dest_ip:dest_port should match dest_ip:dest_port/src_ip:src_port of the “response”). Sending packets from the socket to the addresses other than that could send a response doesn’t start the reception.

Does anyone have an idea how to start the reception without sending this first packet?

PS: We’re using DevStudio v5.3.1 for Windows with Legato for WP85/WP75 R16 SDK (Legato ver 18.6.1). The data session is started with le_data_Request().
PPS: I’m not sure if I’ve managed to explain my situation, thus clarifying questions are welcome!

0 Likes

how about typing the following in UART console to enable all the input port after boot up ?
iptables -I INPUT -j ACCEPT

0 Likes

This was exact what was done when I wrote that:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

0 Likes

Can you write a simple udp server program and run in yocto linux?
This can isolate if problem related to legato framework.

0 Likes

You can also capture wireshark log to see the real traffic.

0 Likes

There’s a difference between -I and -P

Sounds like the -I might be what you need, however list out your rules and then you can see if your rule or default policy is inserted where you want it.

iptables -L INPUT

BR,
Chris

0 Likes