Dev Studio not connecting to MangOH

Hello,

I’m currently working with a Ubuntu 14.04 machine, running developer studio 3.6 with a MangOH WP85 target. IP address of target is configured and devstudio ‘sees’ it (I see output on the legato log window ok).

However, there are problems with dev studio not connecting correctly to target:

• dev studio connection reports problems - cannot retrieve firmware version & cannot retrieve hardware properties,
  • connection properties reports ‘some subsystems connected’,
  • any attempt to launch ‘hello world’ app informs that target is not connected.

I have updated the firmware to latest and installed legato 15.10.1, both from the windows installer and then directly from a Linux build. Dev Studio continues to report the above problems.

I can continue to investigate the platform by working outside of developer studio, but I’d like to try it out if I can resolve this problem.
Thanks.

Please can you zip & attach here the workspace log (/.metadata/.log) just after a connection tentative?

Thanks

Hello. Ok, log is attached. Thanks, Wayne.

[attachment=0].log.tar.gz[/attachment]

It sounds like the Legato Framework is not completely up and running on your device.
Please can you check the result of “app info” on the device? The modemService application seems to not be running.
Did you performed any software upgrade recently on your WP85?

Yes, the result of appinfo agrees with what you say, and dev studio reports:
[attachment=0]appinfo.txt.tar.gz[/attachment]

I have updated the firmware to latest, but had the same problem before I did this.

Please can you tell us the instructions you’ve followed to upgrade your device to the latest firmware?
Please can you also check which version is returned by the legato version command

• I use the instructions at legato.io/legato-docs/15_10/ … _10_1.html
  • PRI part number is returned as 9904889, so I update from Windows using the 1102621 configuration.
  • I update the carrier config and legato (Windows method) from instructions on same page.

I just repeated this process, here is the log from dev studio. The result is slightly different, since the modem service is running ok now:
[attachment=1]appinfo.txt[/attachment]

But dev studio still has connections issues (Remote System Explorer reports 'some subsystems connected, attempt to run ‘helloworld’ reports ManOH not connected). The log is not so useful:
[attachment=0].log[/attachment]

• Previously, when devstudio failed to connect correctly, I also built legato from source and installed to target from these instructions (legato.io/legato-docs/15_10/ … build.html). I have not repeated this today, but could account for some differences from previous logs.

Legato version is reported 15.10.1.Beta_…

Do you mean when you’re using a launch configuration?
If so, you should have a look at it, and verify if the correct connection instance is selected in the launch configuration (and obviously check that the connection is established before launching it)

In my understanding,

1. I firstly perform a connection using remote system explorer. This works partially, as I say in my first post (connection state property - ‘some subsystems connected’)
  2. Then I try to launch ‘helloworld’ debug legato app, which returns legato device not connected.
    Is there something wrong with this approach? It seems to me that connection should work fully, or not at all - why are only ‘some subsystems connected’?

From original post:
I’m currently working with a Ubuntu 14.04 machine, running developer studio 3.6 with a MangOH WP85 target. IP address of target is configured and devstudio ‘sees’ it (I see output on the legato log window ok).

However, there are problems with dev studio not connecting correctly to target:

• dev studio connection reports problems - cannot retrieve firmware version & cannot retrieve hardware properties,
  • connection properties reports ‘some subsystems connected’,
  • any attempt to launch ‘hello world’ app informs that target is not connected.

Ok, I went through an iteration of updating firmware through devstudio and again through Windows app.

Eventually, without any other changes, I can launch ‘helloworld’ without a complaint about connection. Incidentally, remote system explorer still shows ‘some subsystems connected’, so that was not important. I’m sorry, but I can’t see that anything really changed, but somehow it works.

It seems there will be more work to use gdb, since there are some errors there, so I’ll continue to investigate.

The “some subsystems connected” is indeed not a failure message.
It really sounds to be related to the reliability of the SSH connection. How is powered your MangOH board? Through USB or through power adapter?
If it’s through USB, you should check your USB cable and/or the capabilities of your host USB port.

The board it powered by the AC adaptor. It could be SSH, but I would be surprised, since devstudio was able to show log output from the board and command line tools like instlegato worked ok.

Is it possible that there was some compatibilty problem since I was trying command line build / installs when I had problems with devstudio?

Current status is that I can make a devstudio app and target connection, from new and it will upload and debug fine everytime. I can work in the IDE ok, so I am happy. Thank-you for your support.

Yes, this can explain the issues you had.
DS is supposing that the device is in a reliable status with Legato Framework running and stable.
Anyway, glad to ear that you’re able to play with it now.