Swiflash inconsistency

currently I can build Yocto from source and upgrade device

for Sierra there are two update tools , swiflash which is for upgrading via USB (bricked device state) and fwupdate which is the standard tool to be used when system is active

using fwupdate works great, however swiflash works terrible.

I can get swiflash to work, but every time it takes many, many attempts

the procedure:

using mangoH red, setting sw 7 to “on”, I on PC I see created /dev/ttyUSB0 (this is created only when setting sw7 on as expected)

but trying to update issues:

$ sudo swiflash -m “WP76XX” -i build_bin/tmp/deploy/images/swi-mdm9x2

8/yocto_wp76xx.4k.cwe

Detecting USB of the target

No device connected

this is extremely frustrating, can you assist?

am am working on ubuntu 16.04, “real” PC not VM. even restarting the PC does not always help. I have installed swiflash via apt-get and I do have the current rules set

1 Like

Hi @deadpoolcode

This has been reported a couple of times, and we work at having a reproducible process that would help for investigation.
Will keep you updated.

Thank you, this will assist a lot :slight_smile:

Same issue here. WP7607-1 and swiflash fail rate at about 50%. Used to be about 5% fail rate or something earlier this year with WP8548.

Maybe it got worse after upgrading swiflash to v5.1? Is it possible to download old swiflash versions from somewhere.

I’m having similar issues with swiflash on our custom PCBA using a WP8548. When I run swiflash it just sits in the connecting .......

Hi @daav. This should be easy to reproduce.
We set up a new computer yesterday and got the same issues there.

mangoh Red with WP7607-1
On Ubuntu 18.04 computer:

@nilsa, can you try to redownload swiflash! it seems that the 5.1 version was updated

Yes I noticed this as well. It works better now with v5.1. Especially if I use TP1 pin as well.

But would it not be nice if they called it v5.1.1 or 5.2 if there was a change… :angry:

hi @nilsa,
we noticed this issue too, and raised the point internally,
best regards,

1 Like

So http://updatesite.sierrawireless.com/swiflash/swiflash_latest.deb is not up-to-date (4.6) and was last updated on Apr 25 2018.
However https://downloads.sierrawireless.com/tools/swiflash/swiflash_latest.deb is up-to-date (5.1) and was last updated on Nov 12 2018.

So confusion could have occurred because the two links are slightly similar but are not shipping the same version of swiflash .