I am excited to announce that the new VS Code plugin for Legato is out of beta and v1.0 is now available on the Microsoft store.
The Legato team has been working hard on the next generation Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to develop Legato Systems, Apps and Components. The Legato Plugin for VS Code puts tools into your hands to ease the learning curve and provide a visual map of how all the system pieces are put together for building the Legato runtime environment.
Please refer to our updated webpages for additional details:
Microsoft VS Code Store: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=legato.legato-plugin
Please notify your customers that are using Legato and Developer studio to start switching to the new IDE. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out to me (no reply-all please).
What does this mean for Developer Studio?
Developer Studio served us well for the last 10 years, but we couldn’t tie in the Developer Studio workflow with the Legato workflow in a consistent way that was easy to maintain for current and future features. We are announcing the end of support for Developer Studio and provide a 6 month transition period before we sunset Developer Studio support completely.
New releases will not be available as Developer Studio packages. Customers must use Leaf, the new package manager to get access to new releases.
Currently Supported Modules: WP76xx and WP77xx series of modules.
Host PC Requirements: Linux native or in a VM
VS Code Legato Plugin Current Features:
- Full integration with Leaf Workspace Manager - install and upgrade Legato and associated tools that your target requires. As new targets become available, they will automatically be published through Leaf
- Legato System View - a logical view of your Legato system model with the ability to add and edit new and existing apps and components.
- Add new apps and components using templates that set up your system using Legato best practices.
- Build your system and install on your target in one automated step.
- Code completion for your C/C++ code with autocompletion for legato.h and the C/C++ standard library.
- Error correction and handling for both the definition files and APIs.
Over the next few months we will be adding features for:
- Debugging with GDB support.
- More code completion for both the definition files and the Legato APIs.