Fast GPIO - direct access to registers

Hi

It would useful to be able to carry out GPIO fast state changes and simultaneous multiple bit changes.

This is achieved on some other Linux platforms by setting or clearing bits in registers mapped at memory addresses. The following is an example for a different SoC and openWRT. I don’t know if this is a good example. But I do know that similar performance is obtainable with the Raspberry Pi SoC

http://www.black-swift.com/wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_GPIOs_(C/C%2B%2B)

Is this possible on the WP8548 and other Sierra WP devices?

Cheers John

Hi John,

In general, Sierra does not allow unfettered access directly to registers. This could cause challenges with concurrency etc. and security concerns too.

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alex

Yes that is understandable. But the performance of file based IO is very poor (as pointed out to me again by a customer today). Also I think the current latency through the IPC api also has a significant impact on IO performance.

Maybe the answer is for Sierra to supply a linkable library that hides the hardware implementation but has little impact on IO performance ?

I notice that there is an open issue in the release notes

GPIO Service
Only one service is able to access a GPIO pin at a time

Perhaps when that issue is addressed the speed can be addressed as well?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

May I use what you are trying to do, ‘bitbang’?

Hi Alan

Originally someone asked me to implement a demo using a 1-wire device (bit bash) - not a good use case as the timing would be too tricky in Linux and so I didn’t post this on the forum.

Since then a couple of customers + @davidc have brought up the issue of long latency / slow IO for various reasons including parallel bus emulation via GPIO. I think in these cases the actual timing is not critical but bandwidth / latency is an issue.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Based on your use case, the way to go is to implement a kernel driver module that bit-bangs GPIOs and then load it via Legato.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan

To implement the driver for good performance wouldn’t I need a the IC programmers guide for the GPIO (registers and addresses)?

Cheers

John

John,

I suggest you give kernel module a try and let us know the result.

Cheers,
Alan