Using Rust to create components

Hi there!

I’m using C++ in production with legato but I’m really curious about Rust and I was wondering if any of you already tried or managed to create a component using Rust.
Do you have any leads on where to look ?

Thanks!

Hey @Scollon,

I’ve never personally done this, but it’s been a huge topic of interest for me. Sounds like some people have had moderate success with Go: How does a 3rd party (Go/Golang) app call a service?

In an ideal world Legato would support a foreign function interface but for now Go seems like an interesting start.

Happy hacking

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for your answer! I’ll definitely look into this.
I’ll come back here if I manage to have some results!

Happy hacking to you too!

I’ve seen some people manage to develop kernel modules in Rust (GitHub - fishinabarrel/linux-kernel-module-rust: Framework for writing Linux kernel modules in safe Rust) so I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be technically possible.

At this stage there is no plan for having that, but if someone wants to give it a shot and upstream it that would be pretty awesome. From what I can see, it seems that Rust would be more appropriate than Go for the embedded world (mainly because of the size of the resulting binaries).

2 Likes

Yeah and Rustup already have toolchains support for ARM GitHub - rust-lang/rustup: The Rust toolchain installer
I’m still digging the subject when I have some free time.
Rust would be awesome for embedded because it’s powerfull, bare-metal and safety oriented!
Thanks for your answers guys! I’ll try to post some update if I manage to create a small HelloWorld app!