Getting e2fsprogs in the image results in missing busybox links

Hello everyone, I’m trying to get ext4 support on a WP76, so far I have the required modules in the kernel and I can mount the image, but I’d also like to make the partition on the WP and manage it using tune2fs, so I’ve added it on ./meta-swi/meta-swi-mdm9x28/recipes-core/images/mdm9x28-image.inc like this:

Add various modifications:
IMAGE_INSTALL += "e2fsprogs"
IMAGE_INSTALL += "e2fsprogs-mke2fs"
create_ubinize_config() {

and the image builds just fine, but when I swiflash it on the board, it complains about missing busybox commands like realpath and awk. So I’ve watched the build.log and I saw this:

update-alternatives: Error: not linking ./build_bin/tmp/work/swi_mdm9x28_wp-poky-linux-gnueabi/mdm9x28-image-minimal/1.0-r0.0/rootfs/sbin/mke2fs to /bin/busybox.nosuid since ./build_bin/tmp/work/swi_mdm9x28_wp-poky-linux-gnueabi/mdm9x28-image-minimal/1.0-r0.0/rootfs/sbin/mke2fs exists and is not a link

What happens is that the python script that sets up the symlinks for busybox crashes and stops creating the remainder of the links, so realpath, awk and the rest of the links are completely missing. What can I do to get e2fsprogs without butchering busybox?

Since no one has answered, I took a lot of time to figure this out. What I ended up doing was disabling mke2fs from busybox using bitbake -c menuconfig busybox, then making a diffconfig and manually adding the changes (In this case, # CONFIG_MKE2FS is not set ) to ./meta-swi/common/recipes-core/busybox/files/defconfig, and recompile everything. I hope that someone might find this useful someday.