Problem with MDC API

I am trying to use the MDC API for the FX30S but I am having some troubles and an error which is difficult to troubleshoot.
So I have followed these instructions:
https://docs.legato.io/15_08/c_mdc.html
And also these two:

The problem I am having is that this works (at times) and at times doesn`t work.
The problem seems to be with the handler which report a wrong status?
This is my code
static void SetNetworkConfiguration()
{
char ipAddr[100] = {0};
char gatewayAddr[100] = {0};
char dns1Addr[100] = {0};
char dns2Addr[100] = {0};
char systemCmd[200] = {0};
FILE* resolvFilePtr;
le_mdc_ConState_t state = LE_MDC_DISCONNECTED;
mode_t oldMask;

// Check the state
LE_ASSERT( le_mdc_GetSessionState(modemProfile, &state) == LE_OK );
LE_ASSERT( state == LE_MDC_CONNECTED );

// Get IP, gateway and DNS addresses for IPv4 or IPv6 connectivity
if ( le_mdc_IsIPv4(modemProfile) )
{
    LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv4Address(modemProfile, ipAddr, sizeof(ipAddr)) == LE_OK);
    LE_INFO("%s", ipAddr);

LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv4GatewayAddress(modemProfile, gatewayAddr, sizeof(gatewayAddr))
                                                                                      == LE_OK);
    LE_INFO("%s", gatewayAddr);

LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv4DNSAddresses( modemProfile,
                                          dns1Addr, sizeof(dns1Addr),
                                          dns2Addr, sizeof(dns2Addr)) == LE_OK );
    LE_INFO("%s", dns1Addr);
    LE_INFO("%s", dns2Addr);

snprintf(systemCmd, sizeof(systemCmd), "/sbin/route add default gw %s", gatewayAddr);
}
else if ( le_mdc_IsIPv6(modemProfile) )
{
    LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv6Address(modemProfile, ipAddr, sizeof(ipAddr)) == LE_OK);
    LE_INFO("%s", ipAddr);

LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv6GatewayAddress(modemProfile, gatewayAddr, sizeof(gatewayAddr))
                                                                                      == LE_OK);
    LE_INFO("%s", gatewayAddr);

LE_ASSERT(le_mdc_GetIPv6DNSAddresses( modemProfile,
                                          dns1Addr, sizeof(dns1Addr),
                                          dns2Addr, sizeof(dns2Addr)) == LE_OK );
    LE_INFO("%s", dns1Addr);
    LE_INFO("%s", dns2Addr);

snprintf(systemCmd, sizeof(systemCmd), "/sbin/route -A inet6 add default gw %s",
                                            gatewayAddr);
}

sleep(5);

LE_DEBUG("%s", systemCmd);
LE_ASSERT( system(systemCmd) == 0 );

// allow fopen to create file with mode=644
oldMask = umask(022);

// open the resolver configuration
resolvFilePtr = fopen("/etc/resolv.conf", "w+");

if (resolvFilePtr == NULL)
{
    LE_ERROR("Unable to open resolv.conf: %m");
}
LE_ASSERT( resolvFilePtr != NULL );

LE_ASSERT( fprintf(resolvFilePtr, "nameserver %s\n", dns1Addr) > 0 );

if (dns2Addr[0] != '\0')
{
    LE_ASSERT( fprintf(resolvFilePtr, "nameserver %s\n", dns2Addr) > 0 );
}

LE_ASSERT( fclose(resolvFilePtr) == 0 );

// restore old mask
umask(oldMask);

}

static le_result_t ConnectModem(){
//create an handler for Data Connection state
char data[200];
char APN[11] = “telstra.wap”;
le_result_t rs;
LE_FATAL_IF(modemProfile == NULL, “Profile doesnt exist"); //set the PDP rs = le_mdc_SetPDP(modemProfile, LE_MDC_PDP_IPV4V6); LE_FATAL_IF(rs != LE_OK, "Couldnt set PDP.”);
//readback the PDP
le_mdc_Pdp_t ProfilePDP = le_mdc_GetPDP(modemProfile);
switch (ProfilePDP)
{
case LE_MDC_PDP_UNKNOWN:
LE_INFO(“PDP Unknown”);
break;
case LE_MDC_PDP_IPV4:
LE_INFO(“PDP IPv4”);
break;
case LE_MDC_PDP_IPV6:
LE_INFO(“IPDP Pv6”);
break;
case LE_MDC_PDP_IPV4V6:
LE_INFO(“PDP IPv4v6”);
break;
default:
LE_ERROR(“PDP unsupported %d”, ProfilePDP);
break;
}
//set APN
rs = le_mdc_SetAPN(modemProfile,&APN[0]);
LE_FATAL_IF(rs != LE_OK, “Couldn`t set APN.”);
rs = le_mdc_GetAPN(modemProfile, &data[0], sizeof(data));
if(LE_OK == rs)
LE_INFO(“APN: %s, %d”,data, rs);

LE_INFO("Try to Start Session.");
if (LE_OK == le_mdc_StartSession (modemProfile))
    LE_INFO("Modem is connecting.");

return LE_OK;

}

static void DataConnectionStateHandler(le_mdc_ProfileRef_t profileRef, le_mdc_ConState_t ConnectionState, void contextPtr)
{ /

LE_MDC_DISCONNECTED Data session is disconnected.
LE_MDC_AUTHENTICATING Authenticating data session.
LE_MDC_CONNECTED Data session is connected.
LE_MDC_SUSPENDING Suspending data session.
LE_MDC_INCOMING Incoming data session (MT-PDP context request)
*/
le_mdc_ConState_t state = LE_MDC_DISCONNECTED;
// Check the state
LE_ASSERT( le_mdc_GetSessionState(modemProfile, &state) == LE_OK );
if(ConnectionState != state)
LE_INFO(“State for modem doesn`t match”);

switch (ConnectionState)
{   
    case LE_MDC_DISCONNECTED:
        LE_INFO("Modem Disconnected.");
        LE_INFO("System will try to reconnect");
        //ConnectModem();
        break;
    case LE_MDC_AUTHENTICATING:
        LE_INFO("Modem Authenticating");
        break;
    case LE_MDC_CONNECTED:
        LE_INFO("Modem Just Connected");
        LE_INFO("Go to sleep for a few seconds..");
        sleep(3);
        LE_INFO("Waking up..");
        LE_INFO("Setup NETWORK configuration.");
        SetNetworkConfiguration(modemProfile);
        break;
    case LE_MDC_SUSPENDING:
        LE_INFO("Modem Suspending");
        break;
    case LE_MDC_INCOMING:
        LE_INFO("Modem Incoming");
        break;

default:
        LE_ERROR("Unsupported MDC session state %d", ConnectionState);
        break;
}

}

COMPONENT_INIT
{
LE_INFO(“Checking modem configuration.”);
modemProfile = le_mdc_GetProfile(modemProfileIndex);
le_mdc_ConState_t modemState = LE_MDC_DISCONNECTED;

char data[200];
//Check if modem is already connected
LE_INFO("Create Handler for Connection State.");
le_mdc_SessionStateHandlerRef_t SessionStateHandler = le_mdc_AddSessionStateHandler(modemProfile, DataConnectionStateHandler, NULL);
LE_FATAL_IF(SessionStateHandler == NULL, "Session state handler not created!!");

//Connect modem
LE_ASSERT( le_mdc_GetSessionState(modemProfile, &modemState) == LE_OK );
if(modemState != LE_MDC_CONNECTED)
{
    LE_INFO("Will start connecting the modem");
    rs = ConnectModem(modemProfileIndex);
}

rs =  le_info_GetImei(&data[0], sizeof(data));
LE_INFO("IMEI: %s, %d",data, rs);
//now try to connect the router
return;

}

And the program fails at line:
LE_ASSERT( state == LE_MDC_CONNECTED );
However, the function only gets called by the handler “DataConnectionStateHandler” once the state of the modem is LE_MDC_CONNECTED, so I am a bit confused about why this is happening…
Anybody able to help about this problem?

don’t quite understand your problem…
do you see problem in CM tool?

I am not talking about the shell commands, trying to configure and start the modem data from a C source file.

if you don’t see problem in shell command, that means there is problem on your C program.
Then you can check the source code of CM tool and see what should be port to your application.

where do I find the source for the shell commands?

you can see here:

I have checked the source for the cm data but this is not exactly what I was asking.
The code I have used and written above is from the example code of Legato docs, my question is why the handler ConnectionState and the state returned from le_mdc_GetSessionState(modemProfile, &state) have different values?
This software systematically fails at LE_ASSERT( state == LE_MDC_CONNECTED ) when this function SetNetworkConfiguration is called by the handler only when the state is LE_MDC_CONNECTED.

The modem will run on bootup but it will not run on any new application download.

Is anybody able to provide an answer to this?

do you mean this line will make the program stopped?
LE_ASSERT( state == LE_MDC_CONNECTED )

Also you might need to try the latest test application which is quite different from yours:

I am testing this software on my target and it happens the same thing:

Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.info Legato: INFO | supervisor[1138]/supervisor T=main | app.c app_Start() 3377 | Starting app ‘mdcTest’
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.info Legato: INFO | supervisor[1138]/supervisor T=main | app.c CreateFileLink() 1991 | Skipping file link ‘/legato/systems/current/apps/mdcTest/read-only/lib/libComponent_mdcTestComp.so’ to '/legato/systems/current/appsWriteable/mdcTest/li
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.info Legato: INFO | supervisor[1138]/supervisor T=main | app.c CreateFileLink() 1991 | Skipping file link ‘/legato/systems/current/apps/mdcTest/read-only/bin/mdcTest’ to ‘/legato/systems/current/appsWriteable/mdcTest/bin/mdcTest’: Already
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.info Legato: INFO | supervisor[1138]/supervisor T=main | proc.c proc_Start() 1389 | Starting process ‘mdcTest’ with pid 3659
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.info Legato: INFO | supervisor[3659]/supervisor T=main | proc.c proc_Start() 1354 | Execing ‘mdcTest’
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.debug Legato: DBUG | UNKNOWN[3659]/ T=main | _componentMain.c _mdcTestComp_Init() 29 | Initializing mdcTestComp component library.
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.debug Legato: DBUG | UNKNOWN[3659]/framework T=main | le_mdc_client.c DoConnectService() 355 | ======= Starting client for ‘mdcTest.mdcTestComp.le_mdc’ service ========
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=main | LE_FILENAME InitPool() 303 | Memory pool name ‘framework.msgs-LogControlProtocol’ is truncated to ‘framework.msgs-LogControlProtoc’
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=main | LE_FILENAME le_mem_ForceAlloc() 841 | Memory pool ‘framework.SigMonitor’ overflowed. Expanded to 1 blocks.
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=main | LE_FILENAME le_mem_ForceAlloc() 841 | Memory pool ‘framework.SigHandler’ overflowed. Expanded to 1 blocks.
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTest_exe T=main | _main.c main() 61 | == Starting Event Processing Loop ==
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c _mdcTestComp_COMPONENT_INIT() 612 | ======= MDC TEST STARTED =======
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetConfiguration() 352 | cid: 1 pdp: 1 apn: auto auth: 1 username: password:
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=MDC_Test | LE_FILENAME PThreadStartRoutine() 365 | Set nice level to 0.
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=MDC_Test | LE_FILENAME le_mem_ForceAlloc() 841 | Memory pool ‘framework.DestructorObjs’ overflowed. Expanded to 2 blocks.
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=MDC_Test | LE_FILENAME le_mem_ForceAlloc() 841 | Memory pool ‘.le_mdc_ClientThreadData’ overflowed. Expanded to 2 blocks.
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=MDC_Test | le_mdc_client.c DoConnectService() 355 | ======= Starting client for ‘mdcTest.mdcTestComp.le_mdc’ service ========
mdcTest[3659]/framework T=MDC_Test | LE_FILENAME le_mem_ForceAlloc() 841 | Memory pool ‘.le_mdc_ClientData’ overflowed. Expanded to 1 blocks.
======= MDC TEST_SYNC STARTED =======
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 463 | ================================================
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 464 | (int) le_mdc_GetProfileIndex(profileRef)=1
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 465 | ConnectionStatus=2
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 486 | ================================================
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetNetworkConfiguration() 386 | ipAddr=10.250.218.246
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetNetworkConfiguration() 390 | gatewayAddr=10.250.218.245
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetNetworkConfiguration() 395 | dns1Addr=10.5.68.232
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetNetworkConfiguration() 396 | dns2Addr=10.5.209.36
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 463 | ================================================
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 464 | (int) le_mdc_GetProfileIndex(profileRef)=1
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 465 | ConnectionStatus=0
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 481 | le_mdc_GetDisconnectionReasonExt(profileRef, 0)=45
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.debug Legato: DBUG | mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 482 | le_mdc_GetPlatformSpecificDisconnectionCodeExt(profileRef, 0)=1
Feb 26 14:48:16 fx30s user.debug Legato: DBUG | mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=MDC_Test | mdcTest.c StateChangeHandler() 486 | ================================================
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | mdcTest.c SetNetworkConfiguration() 421 | /sbin/route add default gw 10.250.218.245
mdcTest[3659] | route: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
mdcTest[3659]/mdcTestComp T=main | Assert Failed: ‘system(systemCmd) == 0’
supervisor[1138]/supervisor T=main | proc.c Process ‘mdcTest’ (PID: 3659) has exited with exit code 1.

Where it will initially connect, than the handler will return the DISCONNECT for unknown reason?
I am using this device with a telstra sim card in australia.
The only thing I did add to this code is a fixed APN name for the network:
const char * APN = “telstra.wap”;
LE_ASSERT(LE_OK == le_mdc_SetAPN(*profileRefPtr, APN));

And also removed the le_thread_Sleep for which I can`t find the include file in the legato workspace.

The APN I am certain it works correctly, as if I run the command from shell
cm data connect
It will connect properly.

Not sure if replacing the le_thread_Sleep with sleep is causing the issue, as I see documentation says this could cause bugs, but don`t think this is the problem.
The modem is disconnecting straight after connecting for no reason (as far as it looks).

I have problem in starting the data connection, do you know why?
logread.txt (12.8 KB)

Is there anybody able to help on clarifying how this mdc API should work?
As I said, on bootup the modem will start, but if I try to run the app when the device is already up and running, then it will not work with the message I have reported above.

can you check in your code if le_mdc_StopSession() is called?

I am not running my code but a copy an paste of the link you have sent, all beside the change I have indicated above, reaplcing le_thread_sleep with sleep and hardcoding the APN to the APN I am using.

I tried on another WP76, I don’t see any problem on running the application, you can see my logread.

logread_mdeTest.txt (22.8 KB)

root@swi-mdm9x28-wp:~# cm info
Device: WP7609
IMEI: 359782080100373
IMEISV: 6
FSN: WA803370311610
Firmware Version: SWI9X07Y_02.28[ 529.721111] i2c-msm-v2 78b8000.i2c: NACK: slave not responding, ensure its powered: msgs(n:1 cur:0 tx) bc(rx:0 tx:2) mode:FIFO slv_addr:0x3a MSTR_STS:0x001363c8 OPER:0x00000090
.03.05 000000 jenkins 2019/07/08 11:04:16
Bootloader Version: [ 529.740566] i2c-msm-v2 78b8000.i2c: NACK: slave not responding, ensure its powered: msgs(n:1 cur:0 tx) bc(rx:0 tx:2) mode:FIFO slv_addr:0x3a MSTR_STS:0x001363c8 OPER:0x00000090
SWI9X07Y_02.28.03.05 000000 jenkins 2019/07/08 11:04:16
MCU Version: 002.011
PRI Part Number (PN): 9908102
PRI Revision: 001.000
Carrier PRI Name: GENERIC
Carrier PRI Revision: 002.073_000
SKU: 1103843
Last Reset Cause: Power Down
Resets Count: Expected: 10226 Unexpected: 0

I cant get it to work, the only thing I can think of is another app using the same interface and so conditioning the handler in my app. When I have built my system, how can I am my own firmware release so to eliminate apps which I dont need?
i.e. the AirVantage is installed and if I remove it will come back after a reboot…

you might try to “app stop” the unwanted application.
Also you might try with default WP76 FW R13, I don’t see problem with it.

Tried with the app stop already, also tried with the app remove.
Will give it a go with the different firmware to see how it goes.

mmmhh, I have updated the firmware on the target using the WP77xx_Release13_GENERIC_GCF.exe and that seems to have broken the target.
No apps installed and I cant flash back the .cwe file from shell as the fwupdate app is not running anymore. I cant download my system either as I get:
sh: /legato/systems/current/bin/update: not found
cat: write error: Broken pipe
update failed

i tried on mangoh red +WP77 on FW R13 before, no problem is found.